Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 84 - Standing By

Hebrews 12:2
“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”-

Today was blustery in Colorado Springs.  They had winds up to 70 mph at certain points.  I left my laptop cord at home and needed a temporary fix so my dad and I went to Best Buy.  After zero help from the sales people, I found what I needed, went to the checkout and walked outside.  I knew it was windy outside so I put my receipt in my bag.  The second I stepped outside, the wind picked up, blew through my bag and before I knew it - my receipt was flying in the air.  Normally, I wouldn't care about a receipt but it was for electronics and had my signature on it.  I knew I needed it back in case the cord didn't work.  I took off after it.  It was a busy parking lot, the wind was gusting and I had on boots with 2 1/2" heels.  As I looked like a fool running after the receipt, I noticed people were just watching me.  They could've gotten the receipt - but instead they just stood and watched.  Then, the piece of paper hit the ground and did a dance as if to tease me and taunt me to come closer.  I got closer and then twisted my ankle and did a half fall while throwing my bag forward to land on the receipt.  A man stood there without asking me if I was okay, without helping me up, and looked at me like I was a moron.  I slowly stood up with receipt crushed into my hand and realized I had re-injured my knee and hurt my ankle as well. 

I know that doing my mile was not a great thing to do on an injured knee but I wasn't about to let Satan step in on day 84 and win!  I did my mile very slowly this evening and thought about the day.  Now, I realize on the day that Jesus was mounted to the cross, it was God's plan.  However, how many stood by?  How many thought to offer to take his place?  I know they couldn't but was there ANYONE who tried to help?  I know that what was meant to be was - but it just causes a pause to reflect on how horrific the situation was and yet they just stood and watched. 

How often are we standing by and not helping or lending a hand?  How often is God calling us to be the one to stand in and help?  As we reflect on the awesome resurrection for tomorrow, I just lie here with gratefulness that we can be on this journey and that God chooses to use us even though we do stupid things like just stand by and watch.  I don't know about you - but I don't want to be on the sidelines wondering how to help the team - I am armed and ready for the fight. 

Thank you for your precious gift of life and for your son who allowed us to have an eternal home with YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment