Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 11 - Caffeine Junky


Day 11 – There are days, weeks, months and even years where we will face trials or crisis. It has been said that our lives center on crisis. If we are not in the middle of a crisis, then we are either heading into one or just coming out of one. The blessing is knowing that if we have God at the center of our lives, we will always have a way through the crisis.

I have recently been facing a number of trials and temptations and the most minor one actually makes me laugh. I am truly addicted to coffee. I'm not sure when it happened exactly because I was completely off caffeine and coffee from January through July. Is there such thing as falling off the coffee wagon? I suppose there is because I am sitting in the coffee grounds and realizing how much I need it. I really don't even drink that much coffee. I have weaned myself down to 1 cup of half decaf and half caf. However, as I try to completely stop, I get this nasty headache. I'm sure you have all been through it. I went through it once before when I got pregnant for the first time. I went through three days of solid torture so that I didn't need caffeine. In the grand scheme of things, this really isn't that huge of an addiction but it is clearly an issue if I "need" it. I don't want that!

 Imagine what your life would be like if you just craved God's word like you do to something like caffeine or something more. It would be vastly different I imagine. I do crave the time with God and look forward to every moment with Him whether I am alone or not.

The truth is I am facing more difficult trials than just caffeine but it really isn't any different. Why does it usually take a trial or temptation to get us to turn to God in a more serious way? I kid you not; Satan is doing his best to make sure I do not have my mile a day with God. I actually am looking forward to facing my future trials with God because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I keep my eyes, heart and mind on Jesus – it will all be for His glory anyway.

I have a dear friend that has a serious disease and she is in pain probably 99% of the time. She uses every opportunity to witness to someone along the way whether to someone receiving an IV next to her or to the doctor or nurse giving her care. That is exactly how I want to lead my life – with God showing – not me. Not only is she centered on God but grows closer to God by the day as her faith is tested.
James 1:2-3 says:
"[Trials and Temptations] Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."- James 1:2-3


Let us lead our lives in such a way that every moment is centered on Christ instead of waiting for the trial, temptation or test.

Where are you being tested or tempted ?

No comments:

Post a Comment