Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 9 - In The Dark

Day 9 – Do you remember being scared of anything when you were little? I remember being scared of the dark and of things lurking under my bed. It was a completely irrational fear because I could see clearly that there was nothing under my bed or in my closet before my mom left the room. Why suddenly was there fear when the lights went out? My fear grew so out of control that after my mom would leave the room, I would run over to my closet, open the door and turn on the light and leave it on all night. That doesn't sound like a big deal but when the light burned out due to overuse, it had fried itself into the socket and I had to fess up to leaving my light on all night every night. My dad promptly told me how irrational I was being and I had to learn to pray through the dark.

How often do we have fears even as adults that are completely irrational?! We stress and panic over so many things when God clearly tells us in Matthew 6:34:

34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Why do we consume ourselves with worry when God clearly commands us not to?

It was about four years ago that my husband came to me and said he and four other guys were going to leave their big corporate jobs and start their own business. I will be honest, I was very scared. I wasn't sure where each paycheck was going to come from and there were some weeks when it didn't come through. I had quit my higher paying job to move to one that was serving God at minimal pay. Every day, week and month was a stretch to just trust that God would provide. You know what? He did – EVERY time! It was such a blessing to just trust God and learn how He would hold us in the palm of his hands.

It is always going to be stretch to trust that which we cannot see, but if we truly believe – then shouldn't we lead our lives in such a way to honor and trust God?!

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says:  16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

He wants to see us through the difficult times and show us His glory. Therefore, my brothers and sisters in Christ, do not lose heart! God is watching over you and while life will throw you difficult times, we are building a great life of eternal glory. We cannot see it now, but it has been promised and God ALWAYS comes through.

In what part of your life do you need to trust God and you are having a difficult time?


 

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! Doing a daily devotional and today's subject was DEALING WITH FEAR! I am going to make a commitment to pray the verses you shared Tris for the next 30 days and can't wait to see how God proves himself to be faithful over and over again. "When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for waht he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? Psalm 56:3-4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting Kelly. I'm glad God is speaking to you through verious avenues. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tris, this is just what I needed to read. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete