Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 6 - The Race


Day 6 – Ok, today was definitely one of those days where each minute and every step seemed endless. I can truly only blame myself. I ran myself ragged and then expected to have a flawless workout like many of the other days. And if that wasn't bad enough, I have been eating so well this week. I have been eating so many fruits and veggies and then we went out to dinner tonight. I had been eating so well and I thought to myself, "Self – you have been eating well – one meal won't hurt." HAHAHAHAHA I ate a burger and onion rings. While it tasted good, I am paying the price now. I instantly felt tired after eating and it made my later workout seem beyond endless.
How often do we put ourselves in situations where we think we will be ok because we are normally good? It can truly be something as simple as food, but usually we put ourselves in situations with money, people, or places where maybe we shouldn't be. What I keep reminding myself is that this is a marathon and not a sprint. This journey we are on is more than 100 days – it is our lives and how God wants us to live. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 says:
24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

 25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

I'm not sure why I would torture myself in such a way this evening but it was a clear reminder that even in the simple things, we are vulnerable. I have my eyes on the ultimate prize and want to make every step and minute count. I will be honest with you, there were moments I absolutely wanted to quit today. No one would know….but wait, God would know. While I know He would completely forgive me – I made a commitment to see this through all the way even when it was beyond difficult.

What part of the race is difficult for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment