Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 7 - Fingerprints

Day 7 – I would love to say that I have something utterly profound to share today. There are some days when God shows up like rolling thunder and there are other days when he is whispering in the wind. I think our walk is kind of like that. We have days when we are on an incredible high and other days when we are stuck saying, “Ok, now what God?!”


Today, during my mile, I kept thinking about my day. I spent the day being a mom and having my heart ache and stretch for my children. My son had the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby today and came in fourth – literally a hair short of qualifying for the finals. He was crushed and there was nothing I could do for him. My oldest daughter got to play during the JV game and all I could do is sit helpless in the stands hoping that she would do well and wouldn’t be pulled out of the game. It’s what I like to refer to as fingerprints in the dashboard moments. Let me explain…

When my parents were teaching my brother and I to drive, my mom would always grip the dashboard and grit her teeth with audible sounds. She would grip that dashboard so hard; we swore she left her fingerprints behind. I can’t imagine how helpless she felt.

Today was like that. I found myself gripping my coat tighter and tighter the more helpless I felt. I guess I primarily keep reflecting on how God looks in and while He CAN step in and help us…I’m sure, because he is our father, there are moments when he feels a bit helpless. After all, He gave us free will and with that comes those fingerprints in the dashboard moments.

John 15:7 says:

7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

We are given choice to follow or accept Him and He will not force us to follow what He asks. It has to be a daily choice. Even today, someone asked if I had to do my mile. I said, “No, I don’t have to – but I want to follow through on my commitment to God.”

So, while I have nothing super profound to say, God made it clear to me how difficult his role as father truly can be. The desire to see your child do their best and know that there is only so much you can do to help them.

What is He showing you today?

1 comment:

  1. Tris, I appreciate how you are able to bring situations to life through your writing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete