Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 19 – Righteous Anger


Day 19 – The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind. We selected the cast for the play and are praying over those selections. What a blessing and how God completely made certain parts clear. However, the last 24 hours have been a true test of character.

I really cannot go into great detail except to say that I have been up for the better part of the last 24 hours. No, I was not worried. I was angry. Yes, I do realize that we should not let the sun go down on our anger but it was inevitable due to the circumstances. I really don't mean to be cryptic here but I do not want to give away everything because I would NEVER want it to be misunderstood as gossip. I woke at 2am and just could not sleep. I kept hashing and rehashing everything that had happened to one of my children and trying to understand if I was justified in what I was feeling. Was I just wanting to protect my baby chick or was I correct in feeling anger. I sat reading my Bible for a few hours just to focus on Jesus and to calm my heart. So, since I can't give you more information than that, what I do want to focus on is the types of anger we can have.

We have righteous anger and unrighteous anger. So, which one was I feeling?! Both. Unrighteous anger is usually referred to as self-righteous anger. It is an anger that wells up inside of you but only furthers your own personal mission. Righteous anger is anger that God demands that we have in circumstances where God is not being honored or others are being dishonored using His name. The characteristics of righteous anger are:
www.bible.org says: (1) Godly anger is God-like anger, it is an expression of the anger which has toward the actions of men. Godly people are angry when God is angry. It is anger which is consistent with the holy and righteous character of God.
(2) Godly anger is legal anger. It is wrath based upon men's violation of God's law, and it is anger which is lawfully expressed. The Old Testament Law not only revealed that conduct which was unacceptable to God, making Him angry, but what the consequences of God's anger would be. Godly anger is not vigilante justice, it is legal justice. Those who hate abortion but express their anger in the burning of abortion clinics (and thereby endangering other lives) are not expressing their anger legally.
(3) Godly anger is not explosive, but is only slowly provoked.
Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth (Exodus 34:6). Repeatedly, God warned sinful Israel through the prophets before pouring out His wrath on them. God's anger does not have a hair trigger.
(4) God does not take pleasure in expressing His anger in the judgment of men.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9).
For the LORD will rise up as at Mount Perazin, He will be stirred up as in the valley of Gebeon; To do His task, His unusual task, And to word His work, His extraordinary work (Isaiah 28:21).
(5) Godly anger is always under control. Godly anger does not lose its temper. Ungodly anger is excessive and abusive; godly anger never is. Godly anger is always under the control of the one expressing it, rather than anger taking control of them.
But He, being compassionate, forgave their iniquity, and did not destroy them; And often He restrained His anger, And did not arouse all His wrath (Psalm 78:38).74

While not all anger is evil it can quickly turn to that if not keeping God clearly at the center.
While doing my mile, my blood pressure was on the moon tonight from shaking. I stopped so as not to have a heart attack. I have debated long and hard how to deal with my anger and the situation that happened. (Let me give a disclaimer here-nothing sexual or any nature like that). My anger for the most part is truly righteous. Things were said and examples were used in the name of God to hurt my child when they were inaccurate and more accurately used to make an example out of her for their own personal gain and in the name of God and teamwork. I have felt so sick to my stomach for the last 24 hours and now I remember why. Whenever I have been in the presence of some sort of evil, I shake. I can let go of the personal anger and just focus on what God keeps telling me and that is that this has been a wrong not so much against my daughter but against Him. In that, I know it is righteous anger. It is also a reminder that if ANY of us let Satan get a foothold somewhere in our lives, he will be happy to use it.

Lord, help me to focus on YOU and you alone so that my anger is for your glory in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment