Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 27 - Derailed


Day 27 – There are fewer rewards greater than watching your children succeed at something they love. I cannot tell you how Satan tried to derail me from various wonderful things this evening.
First, let me say that my middle daughter went to school yesterday and then I got a phone call saying she had 102.6 fever. It came on suddenly and she was miserable. What was so tender and sweet was that she was concerned about missing a vocal concert tonight. I thought maybe she was concerned because she wasn't going to get to do her special duet but she was concerned that she would let her teacher down because her choir is pretty weak. I tried to get her to focus on the fact that she just needed to get well.

Tonight, I met up with my husband at school to watch our other daughter sing in that same concert. She, too, had a solo and I didn't want to miss it. Within 20 minutes of arriving, my husband looked pale and like he needed to get sick. He looked at me and said that he needed to go home immediately. Luckily, we drove separately. He left and I wasn't quite sure he was going to make it as it was pouring snow.
I sat and enjoyed my dear friends and was able to hear Grace sing. She sang like an angel and I was very blessed knowing that God is using her and her gifts. It is definitely a turning point in my life and hers. I sat realizing that my job with her is almost done. Not completely, but you get what I mean. Someone came up to me and asked if I was training her to sing so well and I had to say…no. She truly is just gifted and is blessed to have a chance to use it.

After the concert, we left school in a horrible snow storm and I couldn't see the lines on the road. I just prayed and knew that God would guide us there. About midway home, I got a txt from my husband saying that he was throwing up for the first time in 15 years. Wow!

I got home and was pretty wiped from the day. I still had not done my mile and truly did not want to miss out. Within minutes of even contemplating that, my middle daughter, Hope, came in and she was burning up…AGAIN. I quickly ran a bath for her to try to cool her down a little. Then, my husband started running a fever. He then remembered we had no milk and again, there is a nasty snow storm outside and we will definitely need milk. He asked if I would please go out and get milk. I told him I would AFTER my mile. I did NOT want to miss out and I was wiped.

Do you have any idea how easy it would have been to skip my mile tonight and probably justify it?! How quickly Satan creeps in and tries to get us off track in the most subtle ways. I had to fight it every step of the way tonight. I was so in awe of how God was using my daughter and am so grateful I realized how much Satan was trying to pull me off track in little ways. It is like a wolf in sheeps clothing – looks innocent but the smallest things can be deceiving. May this always serve as a reminder to us.
Matthew 7:15-20
15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

2 comments:

  1. Good going, Tris! Your poor sick husband and your poor baby daughter!! She is having a tough couple of months, health-wise, eh?

    I can't believe you still fit in your mile. For me, it seems like find excuses is par for the course. I'm really humbled by the example that you're setting. Don't give up when Satan's attacks settle in... It's a good lesson. We all need to hear more of it. And we need to remember that when it is through Christ, we can do the unheard of things that we'd always doubted possible!

    Now ... keep yourself healthy!

    PS - I am so proud of Grace, my little darling toddler that I babysit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Syd...cannot tell you how challenging certain days are. Also...hard to believe that little toddler is 15. :-)

    ReplyDelete