Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 46 - Speeding


Day 46 – Have you ever driven down the road and had your heart stop as soon as you saw a cop? It isn't necessarily because you are doing anything wrong, just the thought of being pulled over perhaps. Anyway, I was driving somewhere this morning and I admit I was driving a little over the speed limit – not more than 5 over. Nonetheless, I was speeding and all of the sudden a cop from the opposite oncoming lane comes into my lane right in front of me and came at me. He stopped probably 500 ft right in front of me and in my lane. I came to a screeching halt and he then backed across traffic to settle in a spot on the side of the road to catch other speeders. My heart was pounding and I kept thinking, ok, I need to slow down and try to understand why that just happened. Surely it didn't happen because I was doing 5 over the speed limit.

All day, I kept seeing police officers. I kid you not, I saw probably 10 today and I really didn't drive much today at all. The message I kept getting was stop, listen and really pay attention today. Then something else bizarre happened. I was on my way somewhere else with a friend of mine and a woman stopped right in front of her. The arrow to turn was lit and she wasn't moving. We had to go around her and as we did, we noticed that her head was down and she was busy texting. Then later, I was driving again and a woman walked right in front of my moving car and her head was down and guess what she was doing? Texting…
I kept praying about these messages today and it came through loud and clear. How often are we speeding through life or have our head down and we are missing what is going on right in front of us?! I would venture a guess that it is pretty often. I have even taken to making sure I put my phone down when I am talking to my kids because I won't hear what they have to say. We are missing thousands of messages that God is sending us every day and I got news for you, it isn't going to come over your cell phone. We are speeding through our lives and missing opportunities to praise God, to do His work and to honor Him. Man is Satan clever by digging in through the little things.

God is the only one that can speed things along and make the time draw near to be with Him. However, in the meantime, we need to make sure we are right with Him and be at peace with Him.
2 Peter 3:11-15: 11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.[b]That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.
13But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
 14So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.

No comments:

Post a Comment