Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 42 – Vipers

Day 42 – Has anyone not believed in you? I mean we believe in the goofiest things. We believe in the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Great Pumpkin (to all my Charlie Brown fans)…and I could go on. However, has anyone not believed in YOU? There really is no feeling more deflating. You can choose to go out of your way to prove them wrong or just resign yourself to knowing that you are not measuring up.

I started to think about a different aspect of not believing in something. I have really known God most of my life. I cannot imagine my life without Him. I do not begin to understand what it is like to live most of my life in the dark. I have heard many things over the years from friends that do not believe. Things like, "Only those that are weak minded believe in something bigger.", "You will be gravely disappointed when you reach the end of your life", and the list continues. Jesus spent the greater part of his life not trying to convince others who he was. He spent the greater part of his life teaching and loving people. He didn't have to prove who he was. He IS and always will be!

The simpler part of not believing in someone is difficult. It is usually what we say that can hurt them and cause them to stumble and possibly fail as a result. The tongue can be so incredibly vicious. I have been so hurt by words in my life and I know I have hurt with words as well. I realize that it is my choice to believe it or not but it can be difficult at times not to believe it especially if it is someone that you care about that says things to you.

Matthew 12:33-37  33"Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Doesn't a brood of vipers conjure up some incredible visuals? We may be flip in things that we say but we need to be conscious of how it can impact someone else. Furthermore, it really doesn't matter if we believe in them or not. If God dwells within them, then it is how HE sees them that is important. We don't need humans to believe in us because that is of earth and not of higher things. There will be a day that we will be held to things that we say and I don't know about you but I would rather say encouraging and uplifting things in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment