Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 39 - Heartbeat

Day 39 – Today, I went to my best friend's doctor appointment. There is nothing like being a 3rd party in a room to help someone else out with their health. I was there to be an extra ear but also there to help her remember aspects about her health previously. I have been in situations where I did not have an advocate to help me and in other situations where I did. It is so imperative to have someone there to help you.

A number of years ago, I went to the hospital and was in severe pain and they had no idea why. Luckily, my best friend was with me because what transpired next was frightening. The nurse gave me some medication to help with the pain and then left. They never hooked me up to any monitors and did not come to check up on me. Within about 5 minutes, I couldn't breathe, talk or do anything to help myself. I was having an allergic reaction to the medication they gave me. My best friend looked at me and said, "You're not okay are you?!" I couldn't do anything but a single tear ran down my cheek. She ran and immediately the nursing staff started to help me and get me recovered from my reaction. Can you imagine if she hadn't been there?

It made me think about how there are so many things that we do not control. Even breathing which seems like a simple task is not fully in our control. If you don't believe that, all you have to do is watch a 2 yr. old having a tantrum that holds her breath. Once she passes out, the breathing becomes automatic.

Some things are not easy or automatic. Faith is not a given. You have to take a step forward and allow God to take over. Being out of control is so difficult for us. Just like when you have a health issue, you have no idea why it is happening but it is out of your control. God wants to be that automatic force in our lives just like our own heartbeat. We are going to struggle and the more that we try to control; the more we will fall apart. Psalm 34:17-19

17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
       he delivers them from all their troubles.

 18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
       and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

 19 A righteous man may have many troubles,
       but the LORD delivers him from them all;

It is difficult to have faith because it takes an understanding that we might not be perfect. However, when you have seen the blessings, friendships, and riches that God has in store along the way, it becomes easier and easier to let go and truly let God own it all.


 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment