Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 58 - Split

Day 58 – I was so proud of myself as I went into the school where my son goes to help my best friend as she is the gym teacher. How exciting! She had injured her knee last Friday and I was happy to be able to help her.

We put up the volleyball net and pretty soon her class came in. She did her best to instruct them from the sideline and I kept score as they played a game. All was going very well until their teacher came to pick them up from class. She pulled me aside to let me know I had a huge split in the back of my pants! Really??!! I was immediately embarrassed and tried to figure out when it might have happened. I know that I had worn those pants the day that I tried to lift a 300 lb dresser up my stairs. Did they split then? Who had noticed? Wait a minute – who noticed and didn't tell me???!!! I immediately went and got my best friend's sweatshirt and wrapped it around my waist.

I laughed it off a little and when I went home later – I changed and threw those pants away. Man, how often are we exposed without realizing it? People are clearly watching but probably don't say anything to us. How often is our behavior questionable and no one says anything. How often do YOU not say something to someone for fear of upsetting them? Let's take that one step further – how often are we ashamed to bring up Christ in certain situations because we are afraid it isn't the right timing?

Jesus took on our shame and if there is anything we should be ashamed of it is denying someone else the opportunity to know him. Romans 1:16 says: 16I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

May we always be reminded that our shame is nothing compared to what Jesus took for us. The Gospel message is not something to be ashamed of but something to own and share daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment