Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 74 – The Zoo

Day 74 – Such a beautiful day today…the sun was shining and I was able to spend time with my son. We decided to go to the Akron Zoo today. It is so inexpensive in the off season and it sounded like a great plan with the wonderful weather. I was all set to go when he asked if his two friends could go (my best friend's kids). I debated for a few seconds and realized I could help my best friend out as she had a doctor's appointment. Furthermore, she is on crutches and probably didn't want them to come along for the ride.

We set off for Akron and because it was the off season, were able to park within 10 spaces of the door. Woohoo! We paid, got our map and we were off and running…literally. Let me say, it has been awhile since I have been to the zoo with a 9, 10 and 12 year old. I wasn't aware that the zoo was a race…did you?! We began near the Flamingoes and before I knew it – all three of them were off and running to the next exhibit. That was fine at the beginning as the exhibits were close together but the further into the park you got, the further the exhibits became. They ran from thing to thing and I just enjoyed the sunshine and a leisurely walk. I am grateful we were one of maybe 15 people in the whole zoo mind you but we each enjoyed it in our own way.

I kept thinking about how we are such a fast food society. We want information, food and life quickly and often at a touch of a button. How often are we running through life just getting a glimpse instead of really sitting and enjoying the sunshine and scenery? We expect everything given to us on a silver platter…and make it FAST.

Here is a fun set of verses…but only fun in The Message version

Amos 6:3-6

 3-6Woe to you who are rushing headlong to disaster!
   Catastrophe is just around the corner!
Woe to those who live in luxury
   and expect everyone else to serve them!
Woe to those who live only for today,
   indifferent to the fate of others!
Woe to the playboys, the playgirls,
   who think life is a party held just for them!
Woe to those addicted to feeling good—life without pain!
   those obsessed with looking good—life without wrinkles!
They could not care less
   about their country going to ruin.


 

Whoa! That is pretty straight forward isn't it?! Thank you for giving me the enjoyment of resting in your Sonshine today!

No comments:

Post a Comment