Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 73 - Wimpy

Day 73 – Ah….another Spring Break day with my son. We did a variety of things – nothing exciting except going to see a movie. Diary of a Wimpy Kid ….ugh…what can I say about that movie except that it is virtually 2 hours of my life I can't get back again.

HOWEVER, there truly were some life lessons to learn. Not everyone will grasp these lessons within the movie…so let me save your pocketbook and time by sharing them with you.

  1. Don't ever assume that you are benefitting a friend that seems lower on the totem pole than you. Often it is THEM that you need and THEY are the ones that help build and lift you up.
  2. Don't take the easy road to make yourself look better.
  3. Friends are always better than a reputation
  4. And finally….(drum roll please)….Middle School just stinks!

Ok…now that I have saved you time waiting in line, your waistline from popcorn and candy, and your brain from rotting…let's get to the real lessons.

I don't know about you but middle school holds mixed emotions for me for so many reasons. Most people that I talk to would not EVER repeat those years. However, the one thing I recall so clearly was that true friends became VERY clear during those years. Some people became followers to look better or to fit in. Others tanked and became moody for whatever reason. My true friends rose like cream and showed their true colors when the chips were down.

I truly think middle school is our first battle ground to learn trials on our own. Up until that point, our parents hold our hands and help us along. Suddenly, middle school brings independence and self-reliance. I wish I would have understood at that point how much I really needed God instead of myself. Those trials are meaningless unless we are able to learn and grow closer to Him.

I can sit and joke about middle school and laugh about how those 3 years were a blur of awkwardness but in reality it was training ground for the real world and what Satan would throw my way.

James 1:12

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."-

No comments:

Post a Comment