Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 69 - Crossover

Day 69 – Tonight, I watched my son become a man…well…sort of. We went to his ceremony where he crossed over from being a cub scout to a boy scout. I cannot tell you how happy I was for him but how sad I was that he is growing up so quickly.

In the ceremony, they have the parents approach with the Cub Scout. The scout then shakes hands with all of the mentors he has had for the last 5 years. After the shaking of hands, he steps up to a bridge which symbolizes crossing over. He approaches the bridge alone, salutes the cub scouts where he is leaving and then salutes the scouts where he is going. Daniel looked so big as he reached the top of the bridge and then so tiny when he was among his new brothers in his new troop.

The tradition in his new troop is to go camping the minute the last boy crosses over. So, it wasn't enough for mom to watch her son walk away from her but then to put him in a car with a bunch of young men for 3 days. In all honesty, while it was hard, I know the troop he is in is full of Godly men and he will have an awesome time transforming into the awesome young man I know he can be.

Now, I know my son isn't going off to synagogue to preach and has not lived a perfect life. However, I can only imagine how Mary felt at moments when she looked at her son and realized her son was growing up before her eyes. I can't imagine the emotions that went through her head and heart when she had to see her son crucified on a cross.

I am very blessed to have every minute with my son and grateful for the lessons I learn about myself in the process of him growing up.

Matthew 18:10

See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment