Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 60 – Fortune Cookie


 

Day 60 – So my husband and I went out for Chinese food tonight. We have this great little place that is a hole in the wall but they serve really good Chinese food. It really is amusing to me that I eat Chinese food at all. For some reason, I was so tired of Chinese food as a child that I didn't eat any for almost 10 years. My parents always loved going to this one Chinese restaurant where my dad knew the owner. I only liked going there because the owner would give me a plastic oriental fan. We didn't eat out much when I was little because it was truly a waste of money (not that it isn't now). When we did, it was often a cafeteria type place or it was Chinese.

Anyway, it was not the most stellar day today and I was looking for some good humor. Where did I turn? …to my fortune cookie of course! My fortune tonight was: "Within the week you will receive an unexpected gift." Cool! Wonder what I'm going to get… Don't worry – not that stupid. However, how often do we look to something like a fortune cookie or the lotto to answer our prayers or give us direction in our lives? I don't know about you – but I don't want to seek out hope in a stale cookie that really isn't from China.

I know I have hope in Christ. It is because of who he made me, where I've been and what I've experienced that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is hope.

I Peter 3:15

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,"-

I will tell you – Satan threw a whopper one at me today and I'm glad to have come out the other side. Not every day is simple and I'm grateful that tomorrow is a new day. If I looked to a fortune cookie or other means like so many do, I would probably crumble as easily as that cookie. It always sounds good for awhile – but inevitably – we usually throw the message in the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment