Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 64 – Choosing Joy


Day 64 – Have you ever had a moment that happened which was beyond your control? Of course you have. Today – that really defines my day.

I was so blessed to start my day by going to my best friend's daughter's baptism. She planned it last week and I was so happy that I was able to go. I was unable to attend the party afterwards because I had a full afternoon planned that had been scheduled prior to knowing about the baptism.

Then, I went with my daughters and a friend and her daughter to see Pride and Prejudice – a play at a local playhouse. A friend of ours was one of the leads and we had planned on going for a little while. We had tickets and I was so looking forward to seeing a play as a spectator instead of a director. Unfortunately, what was also scheduled this evening was a membership class for a church that we have been attending. I had a short window to make it from the playhouse to the church. If all things went well, then we would have plenty of time to make it. Well, the play started almost 15 minutes late…sigh! Then, during intermission, instead of 15 minutes – they took 30. In the middle of intermission, I realized what a pickle we were in and my friend went and traded our wonderful 2nd row seats for 5 seats in the back row. The women with whom we traded were so thankful and their seats afforded us the ability to stay as long as possible before slipping out early.

The time quickly passed and we left with probably 15-20 minutes left in the play. I was so disappointed but knew that ultimately, there was no choice. My eldest daughter glared at me like I had committed a crime and my middle one was not much better. I felt so helpless and so sad. It wasn't like I was choosing to leave early – I really didn't have a choice. My friend was a blessing as she left early to take me and drop me off.
Then, when I got home – my computer refused to reboot and is completely hosed. What? I mean…really??!! My kids couldn't print homework and suddenly I had a new project waiting for me.
I bring this up because there are ultimately many things going on around us that we really have no control. I felt like all I did today was disappoint people and let them down. Satan tried so hard to drain me of any joy in the day. It was such an awesome day to see another life saved and I refuse to let him have control even though it was such a day full of obstacles and hurt.

My daughters did end up apologizing and I have been able to sit and focus on only the joy that Jesus brought to the day. Tomorrow will be another day and again, I CHOOSE to focus on joy. I cannot choose the stupidity that happens around me – but I can choose the attitude and focus of my heart.

2 Peter 1:5-8"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."-

No comments:

Post a Comment